Being Single In Your 30s

Wednesday, 4 September 2013

O


 

I broke up with my husband last June and our divorce was made final last month. At first I struggled with the break up and although I knew it was the right thing to do my life had been turned upside down.
Fast forward a year and I am in a good place. I feel I have my life together now and have never regretted the break up. I can actually say that I'm ready to start dating again.
Here lies the problem. Now I'm 35 not ancient by anybody's standards (except my sons), but when it comes to dating I might as well be 85. I'm finding that all single men are either 10 years younger or 20 years older than me, I have no problem with age gap relationships I just find that I personally have nothing in common with these men.
Then we get to the problem of meeting people, my friends are all married, settled and most of them have young children. They don't go out much and when they do they do couple things. A pub quiz once a fortnight and the occasional family meal out is the extent of my social life . 
A few of my friends have tried to set me up but it ended in disaster, they are now banned from future matchmaking.
 Internet dating has also been suggested but I know myself well enough to know it's not for me. I feel as if I'm stuck in a rut and not sure how to get out of it.
On the upside I have a wonderful family, a job I love and great friends who keep me sane . A man isn't everything but it does get lonely sometimes and who knows maybe when least expect it.....

share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
5 Comments »

5 Responses to “Being Single In Your 30s”

  1. I've been divorced for 5 years now and have since remarried. I know exactly what you're talking about, feeling like everybody around me was married or had somebody. It took me a while before I started dating again. It's good that you know yourself because that's key I think. My problem was I didn't know myself at that time. I spent a couple of years doing just that, finding myself. I started doing things that I would have never done before, like white water rafting or going out to dinner by myself. I also starting doing more activities with my children. I even started a single parenting group in my city. I got involved in things that brought me joy, something I had never done before. Sorry for the long spill here but I think you're on the right track, it probably doesn't feel like it (I used to hate when people said that to me). Sounds like you've got a great support system in place for those days when you want to stomp your feet and curse (and yes, you can do that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your divorce but if you're happy and content with it, nothing else matters. Go girl, I'm sure you'll find a nice guy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your divorce. Such a hard thing to go through. I wonder if maybe you could try taking some classes at a local adult education centre? You might meet some interesting people there, in a less forced way than through internet dating? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post - I've nominated your blog for a Liebster Award! Check it out here
    http://pull-up-a-pew.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/liebster-award-get-involved.html

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw bless. Great post. He will turn up when you least expect him and sweep you off your feet :) Thanks for linking up to my blog too :)

    ReplyDelete